Thread: bbQsauce's Probe ECO guide with GIFs !

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like

bbQsauce's Probe ECO guide with GIFs !

Probe ECO guide by bbQsauce, how to maximize your economy [GIFs]

This guide will explain step-by-step what to do to maximize your economy as probe, it will cover early game turret buffing as well as optimizing your build in mid/late game.

Basically it's like Rohime's guide with some of my input to it.

This guide is not meant for newer players, it requires basic knowledge of the game such as knowing what Turret buff and Ninja buff are. Highly experienced players could find some useful informations in the guide as well.

Generator 1:

In the beginning is where finding pallets really matters, some people like to put turrets at spawn to get early buff and gain some extra gas, i prefer to just run and focus on finding pallets. A pallet found while at generator 1 will give you a 10 seconds boost, while building turrets will make you gain only 1-2 extra gas ( 4xTurret 1 will give you 14% tbuff against 10% of the ninja buff, it's only 4% extra generator speed ).

-Place generator 1 at spawn

-Run to desired base

-Place
    wall 1 before you reach desired base

-Salvage generator 1 at spawn

-Place generator 1 in desired base

-Salvage
    wall 1 at 47 gas

-Upgrade to generator 2

Tip: If you find one or more pallets on the way to your desired location, you may want to immediately salvage your generator 1 at spawn and run to the nearest base, this way you are sure you're upgrading your generator the fastest way possible. Ending up to upgrade to generator 2 with 70 gas because you wanted to reach the corner of the map will cost you precious time.

Note: For the whole guide i will be salvaging walls/markets before upgrading the generator to gain resources back asap. You can chose to upgrade first if you feel like it.

Spoiler: {option} 

Generator 2:

Pallets are still worth a good time boost, keep looking for them while you build along the way.

-Place 8xTurret 1

-Place
    wall 1

-Upgrade wall 1 to wall 4

-Salvage 8xTurret 1 at 17 gas

-Salvage wall 4

-Upgrade to generator 3

Tip: Placing turrets in key spots for vision can help you scout the map faster, thus more chances to find a gas pallet.

Generator 3:

Pallets will still give you a decent time boost, why would you stop to hunt those nasty gas tanks?

-Place 8xTurret 1

-Place
    Market

-Salvage 8xTurret 1 at 100 gas

-Salvage Market

-Upgrade to generator 4

Generator 4:

Pallets won't really give a significant boost to your build anymore, but you are now addicted to that yummy shiny green fluid. Keep searching for it.

-Place 8xTurret 1

-Place
    Ultra wall 1

-Salvage 8xTurret 1 at 265 gas

-Salvage Ultra wall 1

-Upgrade to generator 5

Note: If you build 8xturret 1 and Ultra wall 1 before the 3:00 minute mark, you will have the 28% bonus, if you're late and build turrets and/or ultrawall after the 3:00 minute mark, your bonus will drop to 14%. If you see you're late, you may want to upgrade 8xTurret 1 to 8xTurret 2 to get the 28% back up before building the Ultra wall. You can salvage 8xTurret 2 at 80 gas. Building a wall 1 before the 3:00 minute mark and upgrading it after won't make the bonus drop.

Generator 5:

You may want to move to a gold location after you build turrets and market. You can upgrade your stuff and buy minerals along the way.

-Place 8xTurret 1

-Place
    Market

-Upgrade 8xTurret 1 to 8xTurret 2

-Buy 40 minerals from Market

-Upgrade Market to Underground market

-Salvage 8xTurret 2 at 400 gas

-Upgrade to generator 6

Tip: From level 5 the generator will have 92% damage reduction, it means that if the zealot find your generator you can avoid salvaging and hold over until you have generator 6, after which you can move insta building it to gold location as a genwall ( see generator 6 ), or in any other preferred location.

Generator 6:

When reaching generator 6 with an advantage over the 5:00 mark ( i.e. you get generator 6 at 4:30 ) you can build a collection depot outside of the gold base and build one or more miners ( depending on your advantage ). Personally, i like to build 8xTurret 1 and upgrade to 8xTurret 3, so i get the 28% buff before and a 14% buff after the 5:00 minute mark. Or if i'm really ahead i build 4xTurret3 and 4xTurret4 so i get 28% bonus even after the 5:00 mark. If you have a large advantage you can do both miners and turrets. If you get generator 6 after 4:45 i suggest you to skip this part. I will include building 8xTurret 3 in the following build order.

Another choice you'll be facing will be whether to move your generator as a genwall or not, the pros about having a genwall are: you don't have to worry about the zealot finding your generator, which can be painful if it is going to drop a 10 minute feed pallet; you don't have to worry about the zealot stepping in your base if you're going to salvage your wall to get resources back; it is more practical to trap the zealot, since you have to build only one wall it doesn't require you to turn off auto-repair and go back and forth to repair both walls; a probe spirit can both buff your miners and chrono your generator since they are near eachother.

Cons are: your generator won't mine when you rebuild it ( 5 seconds ); when reaching genmax it could be a problem to leave the gold base without dropping a free 10.000/12.800 feed pallet.

My suggestion is to always move your generator to gold base, which i will include in the following build order, you can skip that part if you decide to not move it. If you decided to not bring your generator with you in the gold base you can either live dangerously without a wall or you can place it in advance ( it will slow down your build a bit).

-Place 8xTurret 1

-Upgrade 8xTurret 1 to 8xTurret 3

-Position your probe below the ramp of the choosen gold base

-Salvage
    generator 6 at 4:56

-Salvage Underground market a couple seconds later

-Go up the ramp and place generator 6 at 5:01

-Place Collection depot

-Place Market

-Salvage 8xTurret 3

-Buy 4xSimple miners [512]

-Sell all minerals until you have all the 4 miners

-Place 8xTurret 1 while you're building miners

-Salvage
    Collection depot

-Upgrade 8xTurret 1 to 8xTurret 4

-Place
    Ultra wall 1

-Balance your minerals at around 50-55 until you have Ultra wall 4

-Upgrade Ultra wall 1 to Ultra wall 4

-Salvage 8xTurret 4 at 300 gas

-Salvage Ultra wall 4

-Upgrade to generator 7

At generator 6 you don't want to over produce miners, you don't have enough gas to invest on miners yet. In my opinion it's best to get just enough miners to get generator 7 as fast as possible, then you can invest on more miners (see generator 7).

Generator 7:

At generator 7 is where you will sell the most amount of minerals, the price just raised because of everyone buying for gen6, you will take advantage of that buying miners.

-Place
    Collection depot

-Keep selling all minerals until you have Ultra wall 5

-Build 2xAdvanced miner
    [2048]

-Place 8xTurret 1 while you're building depot and miners

-Upgrade 8xTurret1 to 8xTurret 2

-Salvage
    Collection depot

-Upgrade 8xTurret2 to 8xTurret 3

-Upgrade
    Market to Underground Market

-Upgrade 8xTurret3 to 8xTurret 5

-Place
    Ultra wall 1

-Upgrade Ultra wall 1 to Ultra wall 5

-Salvage Underground Market

-Place Market

-Balance your minerals at 110 until you have Mega wall 1

-Upgrade Ultra wall 5 to Mega wall 1

-Salvage 8xTurret 5 at 600 gas

-Salvage Mega wall 1

-Upgrade to generator 8

It's important to keep selling minerals to get the maximum out of the market, if you wait too much, the price could drop very fast losing you precious gas.

Generator 8:

-Place Collection depot

-Build 1xAdvanced miner [2048]

-Build 8xTurret 6 while you build depot and miners

-Place
    Mega wall 1

-Balance your minerals at 260 until you have Mega wall 2

-Upgrade Mega wall 1 to Mega wall 2

-Salvage 8xTurret 6 at 1100 gas

-Salvage Mega wall 2

-Upgrade to generator 9

Similar to generator 4, if you build turrets 6 and mega wall before the 10:00 minute mark you will keep the 28% bonus, placing anything after will make your bonus drop to 21%. So, if you see you're behind you can upgrade 2 turrets 6 to turret 7, balance your mins at 225 instead of 260 and salvage turrets immediately after you get mega wall 2.

Generator 9:

For the sake of semplicity and consistency i won't include different miner builds for the previous generator levels, however if the price is still high you can buy a professional miner instead of buying 200 minerals.

-Buy
    200 minerals from Market

-Place 8xTurret 6

-Upgrade
    Market to Global Market

-Upgrade 2xTurret 6 to 2xTurret 7

-Place
    Mega wall 1

-Upgrade Mega wall 1 to Mega wall 2

-Balance your minerals at 510 until you have Mega wall 3

-Upgrade Mega wall 2 to Mega wall 3

-Salvage 6xTurret 6 and 2xTurret 7 at 5500 gas

-Upgrade to generator max

Post Generator MAX:

As soon as you build 8xTurret 6, you may want to run to a far new location, bigger bases are recommended. If the price is still high, you can sell minerals instead of building turrets.
    As you reach gen max, you may have to move your generator in a new place, my suggestion is to move it as genwall in your new base, so you can safely live without using resources on a wall.

-Place 8xTurret 6

-Upgrade 8xTurret 6 to 8xTurret 7

-Salvage
    generator max

-Place generator max in new location

-Place
    Collection depot near new base's mineral patches

-Salvage
    Mega wall 3 and 8xTurret 7 at 26.000 gas

-Buy 1x Ultra Miner [71.000]

Post Ultra miner:

From this point on it's pretty much straightforward until Final Turret.

Upgrade your turrets until you have 28%, it can be 8xT7, 8xT8, 8xT9, 8xT10 or a mixture of them, i'm not sure about the exact timings of this one, so just upgrade until you have 28%.

Also i like to build an extra set of T6, so when i salvage my turrets i can upgrade the extra set and get back my 28% bonus faster.

It's important to keep building automines as fast as possible, cost/effectiveness between mines is even, so spending your money faster into small mines it's worth if you have the apm to do so.

-Place 8xTurret 6

-Upgrade 8xTurret 6 to 8xTurret 7/8/9/10

-Place an extra set of 8xTurret 6

-Salvage 8xTurretX at:
    -8xTurret 7 at
    60.000 gas for 1x Ultra Miner
    -8xTurret 8 at 50.000 gas for 1x Ultra Miner
    -8xTurret 9 at 30-35.000 gas for 1x Ultra Miner
    -8xTurret 10 at 900.000 gas for 1x Perfect Miner

-Buy 1x Ultra Miner/1x Perfect Miner

-Upgrade the extra set of 8xTurret 6 to 8xTurret 7/8/9/10

-Repeat until you have
    Perfect Miner

Tip: Keep an eye on the market and sell minerals if the price is above 100. High market prices is the key to get a fast perfect miner.

In this specific game i used the 4 Ultra to perfect miner build, you can see the various miner builds and their efficiency in NinjaElusive's thread:
    http://www.sc2gump.com/threads/9546-...athematically)

Post Perfect miner:

Same as for ultra miner, i like to have an extra set of Turret 6 until i have my second perfect miner, at this point your income should be high enough it's worthless to keep building and salvaging turrets, so just keep 8x Turret 10 after second perfect miner.

-Upgrade 8xTurret6 to 8xTurret10

-Salvage 8xTurret10 at
    875.000 gas

-Buy 1x Perfect Miner

From this point on it's just automines and perfect miners until you have 14, after which you want to save up for ludicrous miner, then supply and perfects until you're maxed.

I like to stop building automines when i have between 120.000 and 140.000 gas income, not sure what is the optimal one.

Remember to salvage your turrets when you are maxed out, so you can get 10% mining bonus from the ninja buff.

Have fun ecoing!

If you have trouble loading the GIFs here's the link of the album:
    http://imgur.com/a/sDe0T/all
    Last edited by Rohime; 09-06-2016 at 04:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    6 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, that was one of the best quides i've ever read (i mean worldwide) - its clear, well scripted and even those gifs, i'm gonna repeteatedly read it before going to sleep; in one word BRILLIANT.

My hat's off to you, keep it up! :-)

3. Likes Eviano, bbQsauce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points6 months registered
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for letting me try to be as good as you and still fail! <3

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    A tip for those following this guide, which is actually very well written, good job BBQ...

Anyways, I won't recommend selling the wall/market/whateveritis immediately after you sell turrets, you will screw over your stuff and will cry like a kid. I'd recommend what BBQ said, to up gen then sell stuff, as that won't screw your stuff over as badly. As a person who uses turret buff my numbers are slightly higher than above mentioned as I INSTANTLY sell the @#%@#% after the turrets, so its actually different from actual numbers. Basically, Sell turrets, up gen, sell !@#$

Also, don't ALWAYS follow the miner build. The market will screw you over and your timings will just die over the hedge, and as BBQ claims - "I go over 13.00 with a bad market". If you're smart and don't follow shit all the time (and get experience), you will learn to balance miners for maximum efficiency...

Just my two thoughts, otherwise, just follow the guide and you'll be a BBQ in no time (JK)

Quote Originally Posted by bbQsauce View Post
    Buy 40 minerals from Market
    Unless someone is willing to give you 2, then you sell 10 when market prices are high

Quote Originally Posted by bbQsauce View Post
    -Salvage 8xTurret10 at 875.000 gas
    Isn't it like 900k+? Unless you have a spirit/maek different amount of mines ofc, but I believe it was 900k+ no matter what, since 8 T10s are ~64k and the amount you get in the 5 second salvage animation can't actually be another 64k...
    Last edited by BugReporter; 01-12-2016 at 08:49 AM.

6. Likes Clergyman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BugReporter View Post
    Anyways, I won't recommend selling the wall/market/whateveritis immediately after you sell turrets, you will screw over your stuff and will cry like a kid. I'd recommend what BBQ said, to up gen then sell stuff, as that won't screw your stuff over as badly. As a person who uses turret buff my numbers are slightly higher than above mentioned as I INSTANTLY sell the @#%@#% after the turrets, so its actually different from actual numbers. Basically, Sell turrets, up gen, sell !@#$
    Yeah, if you're just starting i recommend to upgrade your gen first then sell wall/market

Also, don't ALWAYS follow the miner build. The market will screw you over and your timings will just die over the hedge, and as BBQ claims - "I go over 13.00 with a bad market". If you're smart and don't follow shit all the time (and get experience), you will learn to balance miners for maximum efficiency...
    I figured it would be a mess if i included different miner builds.. The build in the guide is what i use in most games but yeah, you can experiment with miners and find what works for you.

I don't go over 13.00 with a bad market.. I go over 13 with a horrible market and no pallets

Isn't it like 900k+? Unless you have a spirit/maek different amount of mines ofc, but I believe it was 900k+ no matter what, since 8 T10s are ~64k and the amount you get in the 5 second salvage animation can't actually be another 64k...
    900k is for the first perfect miner, 875k for the second one, when you usually have higher income.. I may have to re-format the last part i feel it can be unclear

In Game Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=
    900k is for the first perfect miner, 875k for the second one, when you usually have higher income.. I may have to re-format the last part i feel it can be unclear[/QUOTE]

I normally salvage them at 915K-920k which I find works great.

Hyp

Forum Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    First time after reading this I had my doubts about this guide, made a deal as I didn't feel like not building five t1 at spawn so I decided to keep putting them , then follow the guide more or less, the result of that trial run was pretty convincing... 12:10 gen max void. Had a decent market ( min price around 300 ), but still a very nice time ^^ a good guide, probably one of the most precised explained ones as bbQ mentioned

Good job and my thanks for the quite helpful guide bbQ!

One thing though : There is NO ninja buff before Zealot spawns ( at least I never saw )
    Last edited by Pak5000; 03-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.

10. Likes bbQsauce, Clergyman liked this post