Thread: Early banking strategy

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like

Early banking strategy

This post is for people who are not sure how to bank in early game (before round 40).

1.you don't need to get bunch of units at the first round.
    get helper, and 3 1s units or less at the first round, and if you can't get the 2 round, that diff might be hard to you.
    i do the final diff, and get 3 1s at the first round and i can get 2 round with those, but if i didn't get 1s more i lose 1 life at round 3. so, what i do usually is,

round 1,get 3 1mineral unit
    round 3,get 1 1mineral unit
    round 4,get 1 1mineral unit.
    (1 or 2 upgrade for each unit will boost dmg)

if you do like this, you prob get 20 min or more in bank.

and then end of the round 5,
    get the first 1 4 mineral unit.
    and if it is rare or above, you need to upgrade them in order to save your min.

2.when you need more dps, you don't have to get unit lottery always, but gas lottery.

1 upgrade 1 gas 110%dmg
    2 upgrade 3 gas 121%dmg
    3 upgrade 6 gas 133.1%dmg
    4 upgrade 10gas 146.41%dmg
    5 upgrade 15gas 161.051%dmg
    6 upgrade 21gas 177.156%dmg
    7 upgrade 28gas 194.871%dmg
    8 upgrade 36gas 214.358%dmg
    9 upgrade 45gas 235.494%dmg
    10 upgrade 55gas 259.374%dmg
    11 upgrade 66gas 285.311%dmg
    12 upgrade 78gas 313.842%dmg
    13 upgrade 91gas 345.227%dmg
    14 upgrade 103gas 379.749%dmg
    15 upgrade 118gas 417.723%dmg
    16 upgrade 134gas 459.496%dmg
    17 upgrade 151gas 505.445%dmg
    18 upgrade 169gas 555.99%dmg
    19 upgrade 188gas 611.589%dmg
    20 upgrade 208gas 672.748%dmg

this is how much gas you need for upgrade and how much dmg you can get by upgrading.
    so, if you get 7 upgrade, you can get almost double dps without getting unit.

so if you roll 1 4s, and you got a rare or above, you might wanna up at least 4 or more because it cost only 6 gas.
    because usually, if you roll 5s gas lottery, average gas you can get is 30 (if you maxed gas revision)
    so 4min = 24gas, and 24 gas can boost your unit 177% dmg or more.

at round 16 you might wanna get the first 8s, and if you got epic or more, you might wanna get 7 or more upgrade
    because get the other 8s has few chance to get the same unit, and you can get rare from it.

if you got early unique unit just upgrade it 12 or more, and deposit all your mineral, it helps banking.

3.upgrade is important, but not always good to upgrade everything you have.

raynor, zero, and kerri can merge each other so if you get them you can do flexible play, on the other hand, colo, AA, and ursadak have few choice you can merge. so, I usually get at least 10 upgrades of neutral, P-mech, and choose one from zerg, t-bio, or p-bio (usually p-bio)
    if you focus on just 3 races like this, it would save you minerals, and gas.

for the round 40, you don't really need a hell or above, but 2~4 unique is enough (if maxed upgrade)

4.better dps units

its better upgrade unit, has better dps, so i would recommend blow units to maintain till 40

Tauren: if you can get before round 10 its worth in that its stronger than Raynor
    War hound: same as tauren
    Ravsaurs: ONLY if you play classic and no rs
    ARES: the same as Ravasaus
    Hybrid dominator: skill is insane.
    Raynor: good AS, and non-missile type.
    Ursadak (M), and Yeti (F) : neutrals are just good.
    Void Ray: op
    Last edited by Hyunsung; 12-29-2016 at 05:55 PM.

2. Likes FVZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Overdrive250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^^^
    qft

Forum Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    This helps and all, but when do you upgrade your interest rate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points6 months registeredVeteran
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    I up interest 1 at 60 in bank after upgrade end of round, 60 in bank gives almost 1 mineral/round per interest bought, seems like a good time to me.

If holding strong and look like doing so for the nenxt 5 odd rounds with some small cost gas buys Ill up interest, if not ill add pool and get another unit(s) when have to, hope for big like domi.

1st interest buy - 60 in bank, 2nd same, 3rd 70, 4th 75 5th 100, once about 116 getting max 10/round, job done good.

This is assuming you have 1% interest in speciality, which helps alot.

The key is in learning how long the units you have will hold, how much gas is a good amount to put into them (1 kerrigan r 15+, not rly good to burn alot of gas into) and if you can afford to go all out and max bank then spend the interest to continue to survive.

Edit - its worth noting that maximum interest changes, 3/round is max till round 11, where it becomes 4, until round 26 when it goes up, presumably to 10, Ive only ever had 6/round by 26 though, not especially good at mini maxing r 15 - 40 :D

So early if you do have good units and are reliably getting the max interest, theres no need to panick until r 26 when you get unlocked higher rate.
    Last edited by Hadrian; 12-30-2016 at 03:50 AM. Reason: extra info

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a million ways to do your interest and banking.. I'm sure there is a mathematical formula out there that would describe the best strat if you input your SP and difficulty etc.

My best advice to you is no matter what difficulty your play and wheter you have bank lotto or gas lotto or even if a straight rookie. When playing solo you should probably have your bank max interest and earning 10 minerals a round by latest level 60 if you can do that your doing all right.

Once you have SP you'll be doing it in the 30's heh.

Again personal opinion but I would always keep the bare minimum to survive while keeping the maximum amount of minerals in the bank as possible and using the gas bank skill. At the very least do that until you have all the races maxxed that way if your running 110/130 exp games no matter what units you pull they are ready to go.

If your going long game deeper..well there are a mllion different strats. some optimal some not.. again sometimes it's just what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two considerations when you're thinking about boosting interest:

1. Will my interest (# mins/round) be lower if I spend minerals to boost the rate right now?
    2. Is it likely I'll have to withdraw a large number of minerals soon to buy units/upgrades? (Think about it - if you had 45 minerals, spend 10 to boost interest, but then the very next round you take all your money out of the bank and spend it, you spent 10 minerals for only one round of increased interest. There is no way you made those 10 minerals back that quickly!)

If the answer to either question is yes, you shouldn't invest. There's a stupid math equation to figure out the answer to #1.

You must have over X minerals for upgrading to be worth it, where X is determined by the following equation:

(2/3 * Current Interest Rate * Cost of upgrade) + Cost of upgrade = X

For example, if your interest rate is 7%, and it would cost you 10 minerals to buy an interest boost, you should have at least (2/3 * 7 * 10)+10 = 56.67 minerals before boosting interest.

As a quick check of my math:

56.67 minerals * 0.07 = 3.96 minerals in interest; if you had 56.67 minerals and spent 10 to boost the rate to 8.5%, you'd get 46.67 minerals * 0.085 = 3.96 minerals in interest as well. As expected, my equation gives the break-even price, where it doesn't matter if you boost interest or not.

If you had 50 minerals, you'd get 50*.07 = 3.5 minerals without upgrading, and 40*.085 = 3.4 minerals with upgrading.

If you had 60 minerals, you'd get 60*.07 = 4.2 minerals without upgrading, and 50*.085 = 4.25 minerals with upgrading.

The weird edge case is the final upgrade; you can't get over 9 minerals per round as interest until you buy the final upgrade (then you can get up to 10!), so the second that upgrading brings to you to 9.01 minerals per round, it's worth doing.
    Last edited by Trebek; 02-18-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Clarifying wording

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhemeStar View Post
    This helps and all, but when do you upgrade your interest rate?
    its like what Trebek said above. if you're still not sure, here is easy way to calculate.

first of all you lose your interest% till round 20 and if you got interest specialty, your interest would be 1%
    you might wanna make AT LEAST 4%, which mean 2 interest up, before round 20 with 50 minerals

the best income late you can get works like below

40min/4%
    50min/5%
    60min/6%
    70min/7%

if you upgrade your 3rd interest up, you're interest would be 5.5% (says 5.4% tho)
    so, your mineral in the bank should be more than 55min after interest up, and upgrading that cost 20 mineral, which mean you don't wanna upgrade before you have more than 75 min in your bank.

however, when you upgrade your 3rd one, you actually lose your income due to you spending 20 min for upgrade.
    so, i might say its the best you upgrade your 3rd interest when you have 80 min in your bank.

4th one is like 105
    the last one is 125ish.

(only if you got interest specialty maxed)

9. Likes r1pc0rd liked this post
    Dislikes FVZ disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually just go all out and buy units, never fiddle with the bank. Gonna give this a try on Hard solo for promo to Professional. Lets hope I get some good rolls!

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    Banking is incredibly much easier on eternal mode then classic.. I only play classic if you need a promotion game and might need the extra units from card game...

being able to use bank at all times in eternal is sooooo much less tilting than on classic specially with lag