Thread: NA Player looking for general solo farming advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like

NA Player looking for general solo farming advice

Hey all,

NA player here looking for advice at expert rank, ~70k exp/50 stars, still waiting on a co-op game for holic before I can rank up, dont see many lobbies these days.

The way I see it, there are about 4 different ways to 'play' Lottery at my level/rank:
    1. Solo Eternal XP Farming - been doing this a lot with lack of co-op games
    2. Solo Classic DT/RS Stars farming - getting tougher moving into higher difficulties
    3. Co-op "Carry" or more likely, support
    4. Co-op everyone do their own thing and the game is usually a big mess

I'd like some advice on game types 1 and 2 in terms of play style, gems, and SP usage. I'm currently using a +3 Ultimate Rune because my Final rune has terrible stats and I don't think the 10% SP bonus is as effective since my SP pool is low.

Usually for eternal XP games, I use helper, gas, and AD/AS gem. I get to r111-130 consistently on normal, any higher it depends on my early game luck. Since normal is easier, I can stall with helpers until I start rolling 8s and that dictates which legends I focus on.

For Classic DT/RS, I use helper, golden card, gas or AD/AS gem, currently moving to v hard difficulty and up. Up until hard, I could stall until 8s, but now I find I need to roll 1s a lot more.
    Should I be using different gems and using a different rolling strategy? I also have race, X, and +3

As for interest usage, my strategy has been to try and max upgrade interest by round 40-45 and cap interest by 50. Then I usually hover around 200-250 in the bank just to farm some gas, but I find I'm spending more minerals just to keep up in the higher difficulties.

Generally speaking for both modes I have about 50 AD 48 AS and 34 CC with the AD/AS gem, I put some points into multi crit, rank revision, gas revision, upg revision, max upgrade, interest lotto, unit lotto, and card revision if I'm playing classic. Should I be focusing on certain stats over others? Do I need to put points into SD? Any and all advice is welcome as well as some friends to play with on NA :)

TLDR - what gems, SP, and general strategy to use for Eternal XP and Classic DT/RS stars farming at 70k exp?
    Last edited by Xeqtr; 03-12-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    Xeqtr,

Based on the questions you've asked here, i feel you you generally know what you're doing for your sp level.

It's difficult for us to answer your questions specifically, especially as it pertains to your specific SP level, which is perhaps why you haven't gotten a ton of replies.

some general thoughts:
    - I would go overup over gas gem almost everytime
    - Regarding what to spend your SP on and how to max economy (e.g. interest), just try your best (browsing this forum) to understand how each specialty actually works. Figuring out how to optimize spending is one of the fun parts of the game, and esp @ your sp level, can vary each game by what diff/mode you are playing and for what goals (farm/score/title). You seem to have the right approach, and maybe trying to chat up some dialogue in the general lottery defense chatroom would serve you better.
    - For ideal solo xp farming, imo I would stick to r90 games et dt games. You don't need to max bank / interest for r90 games, and it may allow you to farm higher diffs than you think.
    - I would ignore SD @ your level
    - Don't go overboard on econ specialties (I've seen some people do this). Spending money on dps allows you to bank harder and max interest earlier, which can be better than econ specialties, esp in non-late games.

It's tougher to find games these days for help promoting, but there's still people around, just keep asking every now and then, and I'm sure you'll get help.

3. Likes Nuzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    unit lotto is pretty great but i don't think i'd take any in bank lotto with your xp. tbh i have ~1.6 million sp and i don't even usually max bank lotto yet - at first it was too expensive and now i don't think it would help much with my regular grinding

rank revision is a skill that on paper always sounds good, but honestly if you're not changing ranks very often it literally does nothing. if you're not making sarah/PCS/mohandar/bomber/torrasque/etc regularly i wouldn't put any points in it. put 3 points in basic rank instead, it will make sure your units always come out at A minimum (even helpers, which can help your early game). the last point just unlocks SSS, which is nice, but not cost effective

my general thoughts on SD are to keep it around the level of my AS stat. all of the rookie tab damage stats are super super worth taking, and coupled with your rune i'd imagine this would bring your sd pretty close to your as.

you didn't mention your CD stat, but a good *approximation* is that you should have about enough points in CD that the cost of your next level of expert CC is about equal to that of your next level of CD. if you've been ignoring CD i definitely recommend rebalancing your expert CC and CD investments to approximate this, it makes your crits SO much more effective

i've found the gas gem to be super disappointing. while the over up is pretty useful, i've really only found that to be so if i'm pushing past 130, aiming for the SXD units, or maxing my bank super early. if you haven't even maxed out upgrade chances, it's probably not going to help too much. i'd recommend either a double stacking a second helper gem (to help you in the early game) or else double stacking the ap gem. just remember that if you equip the same gem two times, you have to manually equip it into that second slot every game - it won't save the second gem slot in subsequent games.

if the early game is giving you a hard time it might help to put most of your stars into stim pack. not very useful in the late game but when you've only got 3 helpers it will always affect one of them when it procs and it can really help.

definitely agree with DJL about r90 dt eternal - i absolutely recommend just to do the highest difficulty you can hit 90 on consistently with these mods (and add NB too - it's free xp/score, unless you really enjoy hunting the raptors). you can hit 90 in just over an hour, which gives you 3 rune upgrade chances. if you've got a great composition of units you can push on to 110, but the optimal grind rate for xp/time peaks at 90-110 anyway so going beyond that shouldn't be a priority for grinding.

i'm pretty down to help people with promotions. i really only play on weekends, and pretty much only do solo grinding these days, but i can carry for you. i'm at work now but i'll check my bnet number when i get home and edit this post when i have it. player name is sailorsaturn. i had to wait until i had ~220k xp before i could find a promotion game for holic so i feel your pain. good luck in the mean time and don't give up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies guys, this is actually very helpful, I'll definitely start adjusting and trying different gems. I had a final question on what to put stars into, I've been dumping everything into stim simply because some of the other aoe abilities might activate in an area that just simply doesn't have anything to affect. what would you suggest here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stars
    Star specs are quite situational depending on what you're doing.
    I would ignore putting points in meteor. I've never found a good use for it, the mini stun is also unwanted.

Start with a few points in each of them.
    5/5/5/0/5
    When doing hell+, you should prioritize debuff removal.
    Buff field is also more efficient if you have a lot of units. (which would apply to you for most of the game since you have low econ.)
    Stim is better if you have fewer units. For builds where you can make ~6 hells/legends in a short amount of time.)

So you could do something like
    10/5/5/0/13

Farming
    It's inefficient to farm on CL, so you should only be doing it if you want to rush a promo or do a deep run.
    When I was testing early game stuff, I was able to get to r90+ vhard solo with 30k xp and a decent ultimate rune.
    With 70k, you should be able to do that on hell/inferno.

Concerning you bank, your interest should already be capped after upping the last interest. If it isn't, you're buying it 1-2 rounds too early.
    After maxing bank, you can sustain at least an 8 every round which makes r111 trivial. You can then choose between:
    All hells: just keep doing 8s, until you have ~6 hells + 2 flowers, save minerals, gas them and make 4 more hells.

Legends: convert the hells into legends rolling 10s. (not recommended w/o decent unit/sell lotto.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Achievements:
    Level
    Post Thanks / Like
    definitely good to know, thanks!